Friday, September 9, 2011

24 Week Appointment

Here's a quick picture of me and Baby H at 24.5 weeks....we're getting there!


So what do you all think so far, boy or girl?? My facebook friends have started the great debate and right now it's looking like most think it's a boy--which is funny because 2 weeks ago all I heard from everyone was girl, girl, girl! I personally think the carrying high (girl) vs. carrying low (boy) thing is an old wives tale because in reality, the way you're carrying depends on your abdominal muscles (which I don't have...haha), uterine tone, and position of the baby. I have no feelings either way, and will be thrilled with whatever Baby H is!!
 
Today was our 24 week appointment and I had to chug that flat orange soda glucose concoction an hour before our appointment. I had no problem getting the drink down and thought it tasted pretty good, actually. I was feeling good about it since I have no problem with sugary food or drinks--so imagine my surprise when they pricked my finger and came back in to say my numbers were higher than they like to see! (170, when they like to see 135 or lower). So...I have to go back for a 3 hour glucose test sometime in the next 2 weeks. The nurse and doctor told me not to get too concerned because the vast majority of women who fail the 1 hour test end up passing the 3 hour test. Buuut......of course me (little Miss Google) immediately broke out the laptop and Googled my brains out when I got home. Gestational diabetes sounds like a huge pain in the ass. 

Hopefully my body just breaks down sugar slower than normal now that I'm pregnant and I really don't have a problem. We'll see I guess. What the hell am I going to do if I'm on a strict diet of very little sugar and carbs when it comes time for Thanksgiving and Christmas!? Waaah!!!

Anyway--I'm not thinking about it anymore (yeah right, I will think about it 24/7 until my next appointment).

After the annoying news that I failed that test, the doctor whipped out the doppler and jellied up my belly and we heard Baby H's strong 140+ heartbeat! All of a sudden I felt a kick and there was a loud static noise on the monitor....and as soon as the doctor moved the doppler to the other side of my stomach--there were 3 or 4 HARD kicks in a row and I could actually see my stomach bouncing all over! It was one of the greatest parts of my pregnancy so far :) 

She measured my stomach and I'm right on track for 24-25 weeks, and my weight gain is right on track too. It's just that pesky glucose tolerance test that has me worried now--even though I shouldn't be! What can I say....I'm a worrier! (and a compulsive internet researcher....)

In other news, Casey's leg is doing pretty good and we have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Monday, so he can get the big splint/cast thing off and a removable black "boot" put on. It will be interesting to see what's under the big splint....I want to see how big the incision is and how bruised and gross it is under there! (Sick, I know). 

I'm feeling good as usual (knock on wood) and have had no problems sleeping or getting comfortable. My main problem is that it's getting harder and harder to roll out of bed and it takes me 3 or 4 rocks back and forth before I can make it up from the couch! Haha....otherwise, I'm feeling great. 

More updates to come once I schedule the 3 hour glucose test and get those results. Fingers crossed that I pass....I need all the good luck I can get!


2 comments:

  1. 1) I can't imagine seeing my belly move from something actually inside it! Was it scary the first time you SAW it move rather than felt it?

    2) I'll eat your shares at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

    3) Once Casey has the black boot on, how much longer until he is back to normal?

    4) Don't worry, it takes me at least 4 rocks back and forth before I can make it up, from any seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. No, it was actually really cool to see my stomach move! I'd seen it randomly during the last few weeks but NEVER as strong as when we were at the doctors office! The doctor even said he or she was feisty!

    2. THATS NOT EVEN FUNNY :(

    3. Once he has the black boot on I think it's still another 4-5 weeks before he can put any weight on it. And another 4-5 weeks after that before he's back to semi-normal...

    4. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete