Sunday, July 17, 2011

Am I being too ambitious?

So. I'm not kidding when I say I've googled "nursery ideas" for 2 days straight. I have in my head--the perfect nursery--but can't seem to find any crib bedding sets that match my vision.

Am I being too ambitious if I said I was going to attempt to MAKE THE CRIB BEDDING MYSELF?

I've found some tutorials for the crib bumpers, flat sheet (if needed) and fitted sheet...and the comforter wouldn't be too hard....but do I really dare? Am I being waaay too ambitious?

I found a couple crib sets that were ok to me (yes, just "ok") but I have such an issue with paying $100 - $300 for something I could potentially make myself--and spend way less--AND have it be exactly what I want.

My problem is that I'm not into the pastel-y "baby" stuff. I'm into the more modern, non-babyish look. I don't wait a room theme of jungle animals, farm animals, frogs, bumblebees, and all the other typical baby themes. I think they're adorable--just not what I'm looking for.

My vision is a "gender neutral" room with a white crib and a white changing table. Gray or aqua/teal walls (with a white decal of a tree of some sort), with yellow/gray/white bedding. Pictures and accents on the walls with teal, yellow, gray and white. It's way cuter than it sounds--I swear...

Here are a few pictures of my inspiration thus far...

(via Project Nursery)

(via designdazzle.blogspot.com)
 (via decorpad.com)

 (via spearmintbaby.com)

(via ohdeedoh.com)

(via designdazzle.blogspot.com)

Ahhh......beautiful! Now if I can make every piece in my head actually come together the way I'm picturing it! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Erin! I definitely don't think you are being too ambitious because you are so talented with sewing! The one thing I was thinking is that you might not need to make anything but a crib skirt and a fitted sheet. Before Parker arrived we ordered the whole bedding set from Pottery Barn because I thought I needed it.

    And then the only thing we ended up using was the fitted sheet and the crib skirt(until we dropped his crib mattress and then that we didn't even need that anymore). I know some people use bumpers still but we ended up replacing ours with the breathable bumpers because he kept putting him face up against the regular bumpers. Anyway, was just thinking you might have less sewing ahead of you than you might think!

    I love your color idea. Also another blog I read did that same kind of tree stencil and it came out beautifully!

    I look forward to seeing how it all turns out, I know you will do an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Gen! It's so overwhelming, thinking of everything I need to buy/organize/prepare for! Did you get Parker's nursery furniture as a set somewhere, or did you buy individual pieces? I know I definitely want a crib and changing table--but wasn't sure what else was a "necessity" right now! Glad I have friends with babies to bounce ideas off of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all of the above ideas! And you're so stinkin' creative anyway that anything you make is going to come out fabulous!!!! For both of my boys, all I used was a fitted sheet, crib skirt and bumper... the comforter and stuff is cute but unfortunatley they can't use it :(
    One other piece of furniture I would recommend would be a glider... we've spent MANY hours in that!!

    ReplyDelete